So, let me preface this by expressing my extreme gratitude that Bauer is such a good nurser! I'm so lucky that I was able to nurse him after his NICU time getting all types of food intake methods. He is gaining weight and catching up with his peers, all things I am thankful for daily! However, I've been trying to get Bauer to take a bottle once and a while. I'm not wanting to stop nursing by any means-- i love it and I think I still have a few months left in me at least, but I'm just wanting him to take one every once and a while so I can be gone longer than 2 1/2 hours, (every minute of which I spend worrying about whoever has him and whether this was going to be a freak day where he decided he wanted to grow an inch leaving him hungry an hour after I fed him) I've tried a couple different bottles, different (insert word that i hate!) sizes, a couple different formulas (thanks to the multiple complimentary diaper bags I got when leaving the NICU!) ...nothing. I haven't tried starving him yet (a suggestion of someone who said if he gets hungry enough, he'll drink it) but I haven't resorted to that yet. I'm not wanting to have him take a bottle a day even, maybe just once or twice a week so i could enjoy myself while at cheer practice, go to the temple, maybe even a nice date with my husband ;) ANY SUGGESTIONS? or am i out-of-luck for a while until I am ready ween him completely?
But really....who can resist this face??
4 comments:
Have you been the one trying to give him the bottle or someone else? In the classes they said that they won't take it from you because they know you have the milk. They also said to start them on a bottle pretty young so that they will do both. So hopefully it's not because you've waited too long. I'm sorry, it's not working out so far! I hope it will, because it is so nice to be able to leave them for a little while once in awhile. Good luck!
Have you tried only formula? I suggest pumping some milk and giving that to him in a bottle. If you want to give just formula, you may try mixing the formula and breast milk together to get him used to the new taste. Good Luck!
I know exactly where you are coming from...Jack refuses to drink formula. And I don't want to try starving him into eating it...especially since he actually gags when he takes a sip of it. So I got a medela pump and I do what Emily said. It's actually not hard at all to buid up a supply of milk to be able to leave with people, and that way he can get what he needs and you can get a well needed break every once in a while. Good luck with it, and put up some new pictures of that little man of yours...he's sooo cute!
Haley, did you get any great advice about this? It seems a grandma should have some....but....whenever I gave my babies a bottle, that was all she wrote. They wanted only the bottle after that. AAHH!! I wasn't ready to be "done," but alas! I was.... hope someone has the exact right advice for you...
Post a Comment